samedi 29 novembre 2008

Day 9 Last Day in Africa

Geez. Where did this trip go?

Today is my last full day in Africa. My flight leaves at the UNGODLY (UNGODLY I tell you!) hour of 3.05am tomorrow morning. I have one full day left in Dakar.

Unlike all the other places I have visited on this trip, Dakar has a reputation of being a bit dangerous. My guidebook is full of suggestions on what to do, and not to do, and where to go and not to go. The #1 suggestion: Don't EVER look like a lost tourist. That's easier said than done if you don't know the layout of a city and are trying to look for a building or a ferry.

There is even a chapter on all the well-known scams and how to avoid them. One of those scams I have already encountered twice. The "Remember me?" scam is one where the scammer claims to know you from your hotel and out of politeness you agree. Then he claims he loaned you money which he needs back now. The pressure builds and builds until you pay just to get him to go away.

The guidebook emphasizes that violence against tourists is rare, but that it has happened and counsels you to stay off side streets and not to go out at night. I have been in other dangerous world cities: Port Moresby, Belize City, Tijuana, and learned a long time ago to leave the wallet at the hotel, carry a small roll of bills for today's spending and then carry a bit more so that if you are robbed, the robber is satisfied with what he has taken and lets you be. Always look purposeful and confident and leave your watch, no matter how cheap it is, at your room.

What is odd about Dakar is that many people initiate conversations with me in English before I even open my mouth. I have grown used to conversations switching to English once they hear my Anglo accent and realize I am not "really" French, but starting a conversation off in English strikes me as odd. I see French people all over the place but haven't encountered any North Americans (Americans or Canadians) here at all. I have to wonder whether North Americans just look different than Europeans. Are we taller or bigger? Does the fact that most of us are ethnic mutts make us look different? Do I scream North American because I wear a baseball cap, polo shirt and shorts, or what? I dunno.

Anyway, my itinerary today is to find the parliament building and the National Museum.

Aucun commentaire: